Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

53 of 1001 Albums: Otis Redding's Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul

   It does not get any better than Otis Redding, and I can thankfully say I was a fan before listening to this album.  The passion, and soul in his music is simply amazing. He defines what it is to sing soul.  You really can't go wrong listening to any of Redding's songs. They are all good in some way.
   If you watch television, or movies you've probably heard 'These Arms Are Mine' sprinkled throughout as various background music. I remember hearing it on Lost a while back when I watched the show, and in Dirty Dancing. Oddly, that song is not on this album.  Instead we have other classics like 'Respect', and 'My Girl'.
  When I was listening to 'Change Gonna Come' it got me to thinking a lot about the events happening at the time of this album's release. The Civil Rights movement was in full swing, and this song is the anthem to the fight that was happening then. It's quite powerful to listen to, and reflect on that moment in history.
   Also, if you are trying to woe a lady at the moment I recommend turning on 'I've Been Loving You Too Long'. I think almost any woman would have a very difficult time resisting the feeling this song induces. Honestly, I could go on, and on about how great Redding is.  I'm a huge fan of him, and this just increased my  joy of his music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...