Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Book Review: Jessica Dall's Grey Areas

  Willow and her friends have a special bond. They had no idea it was anything exceptional until James joined their group. Entering a world of daimons and demons, Willow and her friends are forced to flee for their lives in a clash of black versus white, with battlelines blurred by grey areas.
  I've always been interested in Greek mythology, and recently I've seen quite a few novels exploring the possibility of demons, and Greek mythology, such as the Immortal Instruments, or Percy Jackson series. I'm not saying this novel is anything like those, it isn't, but they both deal with those beings. I hadn't heard of daimons till this novel though, so I was fascinated by this new concept.    Since I hadn't heard of daimons before I think the author does a great job of explaining what they are without it overwhelming the story. I figure I can't be the only one who isn't too familiar with them.    The novel also has a lot of suspense. There are many scenarios working together, such as the newfound discovery between the roommates, and the mysterious new guy who has something off about him, but it isn't obvious enough to set any alarms.  It's all working together to keep the reader reading so they'll want to find out what is happening. 
  My one wish is that the Christian guy hadn't been such a fundamentalist. I am a Christian, and I'm nothing like that.  It just hurts with the stereotype that I already have to battle against.  All the characters have very strong personalities that drive the story though.  I think it was a good idea to single out Willow as the lead though. I think if this book leads into a series it would be great to center a book around each character's development. 
  If you're looking for a book that gets into some historical mythology then you would possibly enjoy this one. The story progresses well, and it keeps you reading. You can check it out at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...