Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Book Review: Melody Carlson's River's Call

  Anna Larson's daughter, Lauren, is confused, brokenhearted, and misguided. It's the turbulent 1960s and, feeling alienated from her mother, Lauren chooses to stay with her paternal grandmother. However, repelled by the woman's manipulative and spiteful ways, Lauren returns to her mother, the river, and the Inn at Shining Waters.
  There, Lauren begins to appreciate the person her mother is becoming--and she loves the river. However, romantic interests throw a wrench into the works and Lauren, jealous and angry, returns to her grandmother yet again.
   But as time passes, Lauren, now a mother to her own defiant teenager, faces a new crisis--one that puts the entire family at risk.
  I've been a fan of Melody Carlson since I discovered the Diary of  a Teenage Girl series in high school. I can't think of a book of hers since then that I've disliked, so I was looking forward to reading River's Call, which is a new book apart of her River Inn series.
  The first thing I liked about this book is that though it's a part of a series it is a stand alone well. I had not read the other book in the series, and didn't even know there was another book till I had began reading. It interests me from beginning without feeling like the characters were missing something, and it filled in any back information needed well.
  Another thing that Carlson is always good at is creating real characters. If these characters had been written by anyone else they would not have kept me reading like they do in this book. She knows how to keep readers turning the page. She mingles all these real situations in a 60s backdrop, and it appears very realistic.
  As usual I enjoy another book from Carlson. You can tell why she's made her name in the Christian fiction industry since she is one of the few able to combine faith, and story to make us all interested, and hoping for the best for the characters.

This book was provided by Glass Road Publications in exchange for a review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...