Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Book Review: Rachel Hauck's The Wedding Dress

  One dress. Four women. An amazing destiny.
  Charlotte Malone is getting married. Yet all is not settled in the heart of Birmingham's chic bridal boutique owner. Charlotte can dress any bride to perfection-except herself. When she discovers a vintage mint-condition wedding gown in a battered old trunk, Charlotte embarks on a passionate journey to discover the women who wore the gown before her.
   Emily in 1912. Mary in 1939. And Hillary in 1968. Each woman teaches Charlotte something about love in her own unique way. Woven within the threads of the beautiful hundred-year-old gown is the truth about Charlotte's heritage, the power of faith, and the beauty of finding true love.

   There were parts of The Wedding Dress that I liked, and parts that fell into the stereotypical fallbacks of the genre. I can't say it was the most interesting thing I've read, but there was something about it that stood out amongst the more recent Christian romance fiction I've read. 
   The flashbacks of Emily began a bit boring, but as the story gets going you become more interested in her life. The only thing I found odd was all the physical intensity for the era she was from. I'm sure people were aware of physical attraction, but I'm sure most would have felt considering how they were raised to think in the early 1900s. Especially since I'm sure women were a lot more conservative then. There are all sorts of hints this guy is ready to touch her probably in "inappropriate ways". I found it odd that the girl from the early 1900s was thinking about sex more than the woman from our time also. Maybe it was the fact she seemed for more innocent, and was fascinated more by the idea? 
  I think the story idea is also unique. I was interested in seeing how the dress traveled to where it is now with Charlotte, and the mystery was kept up well enough to keep me reading about it.  I'm sort of surprised Hauck got this published with the company she did considering it didn't have overtly strong Christian messages forced in, and dared to ride the line of physical boundaries where even making out isn't in existence. 
  Depending on how conservative you are you will either enjoy the story or not. I've read way more daring things, so I wasn't freaking out over the content. It actually won't appear that bad to anyone who isn't uptight. I think the title could have used a twist to get someone's attention more too. You can check it out at Amazon.

This book was provided by Booksneeze in exchange for a review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...