Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Book Review: Randy Alcorn's Edge of Eternity

  A disillusioned business executive whose life has hit a dead-end, Nick Seagrave has lost loved ones to tragedy and his family to neglect. Now, at a point of great crisis, he unbelievably and inexplicably finds himself transported to what appears to be another world.
  Suddenly he’s confronted with profoundly clear views of his own past and personality. At the same time, he’s enabled to see, hear, taste, and smell the realities of both heaven and hell–realities that force him to face dangers and trials far greater than any he’s known before.
  Pitted against flying beasts, a monstrous web that threatens to hold him captive, an evil, brooding intelligence, and undeniable evidence of a spiritual world, Nick must finally consider the God he claims not to believe in.
  Walking between two worlds, Nick Seagrave prepares to make decisions that will change his life forever, as he stands on the Edge of Eternity.

  After reading Safely Home, and finding it to be an enjoyable read from Alcorn, I decided I wanted to try out another read from him. This book instantly throws you into the scene of what is happening. Almost to the point where you wonder where any of the back story is. 
  The premise is very catching, and it's an attempt at probably one of the deeper ideas I've seen in Christian fiction. I thought the concept of someone getting a glimpse in another world where he is now being faced directly with his decisions, and future ones to be scary, and intriguing. I think you can quickly grasp the idea that the author is trying to conceive. He does a great job at capturing the visual idea through the character's eyes.
  Also, it was very easy to keep up with this story. I didn't have to keep focused at every moment to know what was happening. I did not like how the book throws you into this other world with the character without much background, or anything leading up to it though. I wanted more of a connection with the character before I'm walking through these huge scenarios with him. The snapshots of his life were nicely tied in to help me out as much as possible though. 
  I would recommend this book to anyone who doubts the quality of Christian fiction. It's very well done, and it reminds of me something C.S Lewis would have tried to convey in his writing. Fantasy isn't my thing though, so this did a good job of keeping my attention despite the fact this isn't usually my genre of choice. You can check it out at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...