Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Book Review: Vicki Hinze's Not This Time

 Sara and Beth have built a multi-million dollar business together, but their once solid friendship is now strained. Beth is leery of Sara's husband, and when he is kidnapped, authorities consider Beth their prime suspect. 
  Then, their small town of Seagrove Village is rocked by an act of terrorism, and Beth doesn't know who to trust. Someone she knows is linked to the attack, but who? Is there a connection to Crossroads Crisis Center? In the midst of the confusion and fear, Beth finds herself attracted to a man from her past. She knows she shouldn't fall in love with him, but she can't resist or even explain their bond. As her world unravels around her, she wonders, is it possible to be beyond redemption?

I have no idea why, but I usually expect bad fiction when I get some of these books. The first chapter almost had me proven wrong, but then it went in the direction I thought it would, and became bland, and cheesy. 
The thing about this book is that it's not even entertaining cheesy, like Twilight was for me. The characters are very one dimensional, and the dialogue is not good. One of the guys is Cajun, and we have to be informed of this every time he speaks by his use of "Sar", which is highly annoying. If a men kept calling me that I would be skeptical of him. Instead the woman is having to resist being charmed by it. If you are someone who has been hurt by men you would not easily swoon at the use of words like that. 
I also can tell this book is from a series. Some series' are good about making the books be able to stand on their own, but I could tell there was something missing about this book that could only be filled if I had read prior ones. 
This book isn't terrible, but it didn't keep my interest either. I had to force myself through it, and it wouldn't be something I would seek out to read. It's not a good action/thriller novel. You can check it out at Amazon


This book was provided by Waterbrook Multnomah in exchange for a review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...