Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

113 of 1001 Albums: Leonard Cohen's Songs of Leonard Cohen

History
Leonard Cohen is a completely unexpected bag of music. The album cover doesn't scream that he would be along the likes of Bob Dylan, but that he was. In a rumored approach against the psychedelic movement of the 60s it is said that Cohen wrote, and put together something to oppose this type of music. I suppose me and him are both not fans! I'm with you on that Cohen. Anyways, birthed from that was this album, which was his first release on the music scene. If you're interested, and have seen the movie, three of the songs on this album were used in McCabe and Mrs. Miller

My Thoughts
The last thing I thought I would hear upon beginning the Cohen album was folk. I saw the cover, and he sort of looked like a businessmen. Though this music was supposedly in some ways a revolt against the popular music of the 60s, I wouldn't say it sounded much like Bob Dylan either, but it does run in the same genre.  It just sounds cleaner than the roughness of Dylan.  "Suzanne" is a good way to kick off the album, and it's followed by a few other memorable songs. Probably one of my personal favorites was "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye".  If you're winding down at the end of the day, and need an album to relax to I would recommend this.

Rating: 3 out 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...