Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Book Review: Beth Wiseman's Need You Now

   When big-city life threatens the safety of one of their children, Brad and Darlene Henderson move with their three teenagers from Houston to the tiny town of Round Top, Texas.
  Adjusting to small-town life is difficult for the kids, especially fifteen-year-old Grace who is coping in a dangerous way.
  Married life hasn’t always been bliss, but their strong faith has carried Brad and Darlene through the difficult times. When Darlene takes a job outside the home for the first time in their marriage, the domestic tension rises.
  While working with special needs children at her new job, the widowed father of one of the students starts paying more attention to Darlene than is appropriate. Problem is, she feels like someone is listening to her for the first time in a long time.
   If Darlene ever needed God . . . it’s now.
  Experience a family’s triumph over lies, betrayal, and loss while still clinging to the One who matters most.

  This is my first book from Beth Wiseman that I've read, and from what I understand this is first novel away from Amish fiction.  Considering I'm not a fan of Amish fiction, I'm glad my first reading from her is of people who are not Amish. I thought the synopsis was interesting though, and it does follow through with some interesting parts of the book that keep you reading.
  The family in this story is a bit bland. We get all these varying viewpoints, and it's very obvious what is happening to Grace from the beginning. I don't know if anyone else figured it out as soon as I did, but it took me only a few pages in. Layla is an intriguing character though, and she is probably the biggest part that kept me reading. Obviously, being a single, cowgirl is an oddity to married Darlene, but yet she strangely envies her. Also, who thinks it's polite to ask if someone has children when she is obviously single? It isn't. 
  I liked the addition of Darlene teaching children that would teach her new things also. I think the author had a good grasp of how children with special needs work, so she was able to capture that realness. Carla, and her dad were also two interesting characters. 
  I wish the family this story had been centered around were more interesting. I found all these little side characters intriguing, but the family was so bland besides Grace. I was truly interested to see what happened to Grace. If you want to check out this book it is available at Amazon

This book was provided by Booksneeze in exchange for a review. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting review. I read this book as well. I think the author writes honestly about the stresses and struggles that are an inevitable part of a marriage and raising children. She doesn't shy away from letting the characters in this book face some problems and challenges. I agree it's obvious what is happening to Grace--the author did that on purpose--let the reader know what is happening before the main character (Darlene) figures it out.
    I don't think Darlene is "bland" as you say, but she starts out a bit naive, or seemingly so, and she grows as a person thru the challenges she faces. The author creates an interesting character by having her grow and change through the story.
    I think many readers will be able to relate to this book, and be comforted by the fact that they are not the only ones who struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I found it insightful! I thought the story was interesting, and I give the author credit for going into territory that I have rarely read about in other books I've gotten through the review program. In the end she pulled it together well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...