Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Book Review: David Pierce's To Kill A Zombie

  Men need to feel alive! With the onslaught of responsibilities, it is easy to forget to experience all that life has to offer. TO KILL A ZOMBIE shows how one man was reborn by jumping in feet first.Most zombies aren't aware that they are zombies. David Pierce heard it first from his wife: ''You just seem dead,'' she told him. ''Checked out, lifeless . . . a zombie.'' David took this as a challenge.    He had to kill the zombie and come back to life--he had to connect with people and his faith in ways he never had before.
   TO KILL A ZOMBIE is a collection of stories where one man is intentional about connecting with his fellow human beings. David actively lives the commandments to love God and others. He goes to a star-gazing party at a local university, volunteers for Habitat for Humanity, engages in a conversation with a Los Angeles gang member, goes SCUBA diving with his ''fist full of men,'' and climbs a mountain with all new friends--all for the sake of feeling alive.
  Immediately at the beginning of the book we are told what the premise of this book is, to feel alive by loving people as God wants us to. I got excited about reading the book after the premise was set up because I thought that was just something I recently realized. That no matter how well acquainted I am with someone I should be striving to reach out to whoever I can. I thought I had found this book at the right time. Except that isn't exactly how the book played out.
  First off, the zombie metaphors are getting way out of control. The meaning of this book was sort of negatively impacted because of it.  Also, I felt it was a huge stretch for him to tie it in to each chapter. The stories became very forced along with that.
  The stories also weren't that catchy. I have no idea if it was because the syntax wasn't put together well, or if they were just that uneventful I couldn't get into them. I would find myself reading, and then when I tried to recall what I just read I couldn't.
  Overall, the book has a great premise. I think it is heavily directed at men, even though women need this message just as much. Perhaps, if it had had better editing the final product would have been powerful, but I didn't feel moved as I had hoped. You can check this book out at Amazon.

This book was provided by Leafwood Publishing in exchange for a review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...