Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wednesday Move Night: Rushmore (1998)

  Wunderkind Max Fischer (Jason Schwartzman), a sophomore at upscale Rushmore Academy and the president of myriad school clubs, sees his world turn topsy-turvy when he's smitten with widowed first-grade teacher Rosemary Cross (Olivia Williams). To win her heart, Max enlists the aid of self-made steel magnate and school benefactor Herman J. Blume (Bill Murray), only to end up vying with the millionaire industrialist for Rosemary's affections.
  I've only seen one movie from Wes Anderson, The Royal Tenenbaums. I really enjoyed it, and knew I had to watch something else directed by him soon. My choice ended up being Rushmore, which was the movie that set his name down. I found Rushmore to be pleasantly what I hoped it would be.  Even though this is his first big directing debut you can see a lot of the trademarks that have stuck through to his other movies.
  The story line kept me intrigued throughout. The things that Max, and Henry will go through to win Rosemary's heart is funny yet romantic at the same time, and it isn't over the top romance either. It's subtle enough to blend well with the movie. I also found something relatable about Rosemary's character. She had a complexity about her that is usually lacking in females in other movies.  I'm interested in checking out more movies featuring Olivia Williams after this.
  Something else I found I liked about this movie is how it's essentially a high school movie, but even at 23 I was moved by watching this movie. I liked the uplifting ending despite the somber tone throughout. Also Bill Murray seems to have found his niche with his roles in Wes Anderson films. He makes 100% more great to watch.
  If you're a Wes Anderson fan then you've probably most assuredly seen this one, and if not this movie is a good place to start. I will continue to check out his work, and look forward to his upcoming release this summer! You can check out the movie at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...