Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wednesday Movie Night: Annie Hall (1977)

  Considered to be "Woody Allen's breakthrough movie" (Time), Annie Hall won four Oscarsr* including Best Picture and established Allen as the premier auteur filmmaker. Thought by many critics to be Allen's magnum opus, Annie Hall confirmed that Allen had "completed the journey from comic to humorist, from comedy writer to wit [and] from inventive moviemaker to creative artist" (Saturday Review). Alvy Singer (Allen) is one of Manhattan's most brilliant comedians, but when it comes to romance, his delivery needs a little work. Introduced by his best friend, Rob (Tony Roberts), Alvy falls in love with the ditzy but delightful nightclub singer Annie Hall (Diane Keaton). When Alvy's own insecurities sabotage the affair, Annie is forced to leave Alvy for a new life - and lover (Paul Simon) - in Los Angeles. Knowing he may have lost Annie forever, Alvy's willing to go to any lengths - even driving L.A.'s freeways - to recapture the only thing that ever mattered...true love.
  Perhaps around two years ago now I saw a clip of Annie Hall in my college class, and a few years prior to that I took a quite that said my romantic life was comparable to the movie Annie Hall, which is great because it's quirky, but it doesn't bode well for me if this is the movie representing how things go for me.
  Annie Hall is one of those movies that is a classic, but there is the chance you haven't heard of it. I hadn't heard of it till a bit later in my teen years. It's extremely quirky, and has a few funny moments that will get you to laughing. I think the most enjoyable part about this movie is that it truly showcases the communication between men and women. We have these two characters falling apart over terrible communication. For a movie that is only one hour, and a half it feels incredibly long though. Some of the moments just tend to loyal especially when you are already given the outcome to expect in the story.
  The acting is enjoyable, and catchy though. Something about the way Woody Allen recites his dialogue keeps you listening even if you're feeling lulled by the story line at times
  Overall, it's a cute romantic story. The only unexpected thing was this movie is all about sex. The couple is always talking about their sex life, so make of that what you will. I also like the tagline "A Nervous Romance". I'll be honest, I think that sums up anything I attempt to make work in the romance department. Anyways, I do recommend this movie, and it is a classic, so regardless you have to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...