Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

126 of 1001 Albums: The Pretty Things' S.F. Sorrow



History
Perhaps this album has one of the most interesting backstories I've discovered so far. What makes this album significant is that it is one of the first rock concept albums. It tells the story of  Sebastian F. Sorrow, and is based on the short story by Phil Mays. We follow this guys life in a song cycle. The band also heavily worked with the latest technology at the time to create a unique sound with instruments like the Mellotron.

My Thoughts
I'm very excited to see where music is finally heading. I feel like 1968 has spurred a lot of creativity, and The Pretty Things further show that. There are many interesting sounds on this album, and you get the flavor of a story happening while you listen to it. It also is very British. I feel like I haven't strayed too far from The Kinks with this album. After finding out the backstory to the album the cover art also makes a lot more sense.

Rating 4 of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...