Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

135 of 1001 Albums: Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band's Trout Mask Replica


History
This is the third album from Captain Beefheart and His Magic band, and it was produced by Frank Zappa.  It's notable for it's exploration in experimental rock, and it's influence on genre like alternative rock, and post punk. Rolling Stone even included the album on their list of the best albums of all time in 2003, placing it at #58. This album sort of had a scary ruler while recording. Van Vliet dominated his vision happening by recording for 14 hours a day with the band, and allowing no one to leave. When someone dropped by the house they described the band members as looking in very poor health.

My Thoughts
For someone who dominated the making of his album so fearfully I have to say it was almost unbearable for me to listen to. The voice doesn't sound good, the music sounds like a blob of things falling into one another.  I've just decided that anything with Frank Zappa's name on it I probably won't like. I know this album probably has a huge following though, and probably a passionate one at that. If I had to guess this is either a love it or hate it album.

Rating 1 of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...