Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

2 of 1001 Movies: 1900 (1976)

Summary 
This film by Bernardo Bertolucci follows the live of two men who are born on the same day during the political backdrop of Italy in the first half of the 20th century. These two men deal with their rocky friendship, and betrayal as they also deal with the uprise of Fascism, which places them both on opposing sides. 1900 stars Robert De Niro, Gerard Depardieu, Dominque Sanda, Donald Sutherland, and Alida Villai.

My Thoughts 
When I first added this movie to watch I had no idea I would be in for a 5 hour movie. I didn't even know movies that long existed until I found this one. Starting off the movie looks innocent enough. It almost even appears to be a story that might be appealing to children. That just speaks volumes about how naive I am. I think anything with Fascism as the backdrop would never make a good story for anyone under the age of 17 to watch. Actually, there were a lot of useless scenes in this movie too, which would make it difficult for me to recommend to anyone.

The story is epic, but it is way too long. There are so many scenes that are disturbing, and they are completely useless to the plot. For example, the child nudity was unnecessary. There was so much room for implying things that he didn't need to show. A child cannot make a fully conclusive, mature, decision to be depicted in the way the ones on here were. On top of that, there is tons of pointless animal violence. I am not a animal rights activist, but I do not need to see a live animal slaughtered. Though, the adult nudity isn't disturbing there are moments you're wandering why?

1900 is informative though. I had no idea going into this anything about the struggles that Italy faced, so if you enjoy history you will get a slight history lesson.  I think it's interesting to see Robert De Niro in an earlier role, and honestly I think he captured his character, Alfredo, quite well. His wife was highly interesting. It was difficult not to be entranced by her when she was on screen. I'm very certain if I was Donald Sutherland though, that I would tell no one about my role in this movie. He had to become insane to capture Attila, and even I was terrified of what he was capable of.

If you enjoy period pieces, have a love for history, and can maintain a strong stomach then you might be able to make it through this movie.  The good story that this movie is capable of though is lost in the shock factor it seems the director kept attempting to push though. This film was actually classified with an NC-17 rating by the MPAA rating system, which I was unaware of, but Paramount chose to release the DVD version as unrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...