Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wednesday Movie Night: Paris Je'Taime (2006)

   Paris comes to life in this whimsical patchwork of 18 five-minute shorts united by a common theme -- love in the City of Lights -- and helmed by an international cast of filmmakers, including Gus Van Sant, Olivier Assayas and Alexander Payne. Natalie Portman plays an American actress who captures the heart of a blind student; Juliette Binoche is visited by a ghostly Willem Dafoe; Bob Hoskins solicits a prostitute's advice on pleasing his wife.
  My first thought after watching this movie was "where was William Dafoe?" Then I did research, and surprisingly found he was the one who made the cowboy appearance. A good story, but not one of the standouts for me. I've been wanting to watch this movie for around two years now, and so either my build up was going to have me loving or hating this movie. It turns out the majority of these stories were amazingly pleasant, and if I didn't want to go to Paris before I most certainly want to now. Paris Je T'aime almost plays like an ode to the city. 
  We begin with a very interesting story of a man, and woman meeting after he helps her from a health crisis, and into his car. We end later with a female tourist pondering her love for Paris to her class, and it's by far one of the most emotional ones. My favorite story above all was of the man who was going to leave his wife until she revealed to him she was terminally ill. I think that one spoke the most to me. It conveyed something I've always wanted to believe about love, but haven't quite seen in life. The fact that a director would show this concept proved to me I'm not at least the only one who wants to see this also. 
  With 18 stories I'm sure you'll find the weaker ones. The vampire story seems to take a lot of slack for it's random appearance since it doesn't fit in with the vibe of the others. Personally, I welcomed it's suspense from the other ones. 
  Overall, Paris Je T'aime is a film I would want sitting on my shelf one day, and most certainly one I would want to share with someone. There are stories on here that seem so much deeper than what the typical rom com could give you. It makes you ponder love in ways that you had hoped. You can check out the movie at Amazon


Rating 4 of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...