Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Movie Review: Cowboys and Aliens

    From Universal Pictures: The Old West.. where a lone cowboy leads an uprising against a terror from beyond our world. 1873. Arizona Territory. A stranger with no memory of his past stumbles into the hard desert town of Absolution. The only hint to his history is a mysterious shackle that encircles one wrist. What he discovers is that the people of Absolution don't welcome strangers, and nobody makes a move on its streets unless ordered to do so by the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Ford). It's a town that lives in fear. But Absolution is about to experience fear it can scarcely comprehend as the desolate city is attacked by marauders from the sky. Screaming down with breathtaking velocity and blinding lights to abduct the helpless one by one, these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known. Now, the stranger they rejected is their only hope for salvation. As this gunslinger slowly starts to remember who he is and where he's been, he realizes he holds a secret that could give the town a fighting chance against the alien force. With the help of the elusive traveler Ella (Olivia Wilde), he pulls together a posse comprised of former opponents-townsfolk, Dolarhyde and his boys, outlaws and Apache warriors-all in danger of annihilation. United against a common enemy, they will prepare for an epic showdown for survival.
     I'm glad I didn't know the director of Iron Man was behind this movie before watching it considering those movies were dull to me. I would have never made it into the theater to see this movie. Thankfully, for Cowboys and Aliens I missed noticing who the director was, and watched.
     This movie actually turned out to be entertaining even though I can't remember watching the whole thing though I did.  Now that I think about it I can't even remember what Harrison Ford's role was in the movie? I know he was trying to retrieve his son from the aliens, but that is it.  The movie just seemed to be forgettable in the long run, but entertaining in the time I watched it. I will say that Daniel Craig's character was entertaining , and I was intrigued by his character. I think I discovered that I really enjoy him as an actor from this movie.  The thing he had with Ella seemed off to me to though.  It was sad knowing he would look really bad if he did anything with her while his wife was suffering at the hands of aliens.  I hate when they build up chemistry between character's then to only know they are married, and would be awful if they cheated on their spouse!
     Cowboys and Aliens also made me want to change the name of my novel again. Absolution is way too overused. Anyways, if you love action movies, and your particular interest is in cowboys or aliens then this is your movie with the perfect combo. If you are into none of those things then maybe you will be surprised, or not, by your interest. The movie was a little too long for me, and became repetitive after too many alien attacks, but it was overall good. You can check out the movie at Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Feels like a flick that was poked, tweaked, reformatted and re-edited at least a dozen times. But there is still some deal of fun to be had here, this just shouldn’t have taken itself so seriously. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I agree, it was good for what it was as an action movie, but nothing more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...