Maybe you've heard of the organization before, or maybe you haven't. When I was in high school I came across the Myspace page for the group, and instantly wanted to do what I could do to be involved. Though the organization seemed highly targeted toward teens, the older I get the more I realize it is relevant to people of all ages, and all types.
Depression, self-harm, suicide, amongst other things aren't just something that happens to "emos". I think sadly those topics have been played down by stereotypes. The media recently had brought a new awareness to the fact that people of all types suffer from these problems. We see the reality of what people are doing to escape their problems, and even though it may not imaginable for some of us to go that far, there are people who feel like their only way out is to take it out on their lives.
If you've wondered, or been interested in helping out people who may deal with these issues there is a way to chip in. You can check out the To Write Love on Her Arms Street Team, or website, where you'll be provided of the backstory of the organization. It provides a variety of ways to help out, so if you can't attend the events, or spread the word through other ways you're given a lot of options. I've really enjoyed helping out in ways that I could since joining.
I encourage you to check it out if you've always wondered how you can get involved, but haven't found a way to yet. Maybe you're someone who could use a bit of encouragement and this will help you feel less alone, or maybe you just want to help out.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.