Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Book Review: R.T. Kendall's Unashamed to Bear His Name

As more people reject the title of Christian, R.T. Kendall explores why, and how to reverse this happening. He offers reasoning as to why many feel embarrassed at their own religion, and offers a way to find the ability to embrace your own faith without being concerned about the stereotypes that are often thrown in with the title of Christian. 


When I started reading this book I believed it was going to be one that took a very strict, narrow mindset, but I was highly wrong.  Kendall is actually very encouraging, and offers much grace and hope for those who are suffering with the stigmas of their faith. I thought all I would be hearing about was condemnation, and judgement, and while those things are explored in the book he throws in as much grace to still provide the light you need to know about.

There are of course points I don't agree with, but they are so minor in comparison to the overall positive message to this book. For example, I think the author puts too much emphasis on the title Christian. I've heard about others who sort of avoid calling themselves that, so they are stigmatized. I am not one of those people, but I do see where the movement is coming from. I don't think the twelve disciples put too much emphasis on what they called themselves, but instead who they were following, which is what I believe it is about. It's more about "who do I proclaim is the way?" instead of "what do I call myself?"

Kendall has also wrote a book about once saved, always saved, which I think is one of the most hopeful messages for anyone there is.  I think at the same time many Christians fear this message because you rarely hear it preached. The belief is that it gives leeway to people just doing what they want even if they do say they are Christians. I think the author touches on a few good points that would encourage me to pick up the whole book on this topic though.

Overall, this book was a good, short read. I felt hopeful after reading it, and even felt I had garnered some new information I didn't have before. I think he tries to be as subjective as he possibly can while still considering the absoluteness of the Christian faith. You can check out this book at Amazon.

Rating 4 of 5.

This book was provided by Chosen publishing in exchange for a review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...