When I figured out that John Cale was once a member of The Velvet Underground I got excited to listen to him. I knew the music would have to have some unique element to it. Naturally, some might try to connect it back to Lou Reed's endeavor. Cale brings something all own his own though, and I so enjoyed it. It's another style all on it's own. There is no real punk rock feel, or really a rock feel at all. It's just something enjoyably unique.
The title song "Paris 1919" is one of my favorites from the album, and it's appropriate with it being the stand out considering it's made mention of. "Hanky Panky Nohow" will be one I never forget though. It doesn't sound serious in title, but it's strangely somber in tone. I didn't know how to feel during the song except the fact I knew I did like it.
I think when you listen to John Cale you can tell what unique influence he has had. He has a very strong artsy flare about him. There were certain instruments and sounds on the album that I didn't expect to hear, which made it an interesting listen. I don't think Cale will be for everyone though with his take on music. It may take an acquired taste to listen to.
Overall, John Cale was a relief to listen to. I enjoyed the sound of the music, and his voice. It had a quirky vibe about it. I highly recommend giving him a listen if you're looking for new stuff though. It has a tad of the 70s fused of course in it, but it also sounds so different at the same time than what I have been listening to. He's worth giving a second listen.
Rating 4 of 5.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.