Why have I not discovered John Martyn before today? It's absolutely beautiful music, and perfect to relax to after a long day of work. I don't even know what's better. His voice, or the music? He's all around good stuff to be hearing, so I was very excited to continue on with this album after I heard the first song.
Perhaps the best thing about the album is that you get something different with every song. One moment I seem to be listening to something a little folk, and the next it sounds more bluesy. "Over the Hill" was my absolute favorite song from this album though. It just seemed all around good. I enjoyed the vocals, and guitar. I felt instantly at ease listening to it. What's interesting is that songs like "Dreams By The See" go into almost a funk direction.
The best thing about Martyn is that when you think you are going in one direction with his music he takes you back in another. One moment I'm getting some great acoustics, and the another moment I hear a lot of great brass. Though not all the styles were my type of music I could appreciate it all. I think almost anyone could find something to like about it.
If I had to recommend checking out Martyn I would tell people to. Based on your music taste though what I recommend might vary. Near the end we return back to some of my favorite sounds of his like "May You Never". I wish he would have stuck a little bit more with that sound all the way through, because the guitar is just astounding. I appreciate the diversity though.
Rating 5 of 5.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.