Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

281 of 1001 Albums: Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On

I think we can all name this title song from Marvin Gay, "Let's Get It On". It's probably one of the songs I've known the longest even though it's not my particular style. Gaye has a really great voice that even if you aren't listening to that one song you will still recognize who he is. I think this whole album is the theme that the title song set.

I honestly don't remember much being stand out except Gaye's vocals. Something about it also didn't feel as strong as "What's Going On" to me, which I preferred. I think the title song ate the popularity so much that it seems to be staple to the whole thing. If there is one thing that stands out more it is Gaye's singing. He just seems to have more power in it this time around.

I think the funk/soul sound is a lot heavier also. Any fans of that genre will probably like this one since it is a pretty strong one in that arena. The band uses all the techniques to bring their instruments to life in that style on the album.  If there is anything I'm still curious about, it would be how people reacted to the album upon it's release.

Marvin Gaye can be enjoyable to listen to even if he isn't your style. I don't think I'll be picking up the album again myself as it isn't hugely my style, and it became nowhere nearer to being my style after giving it the full listen. With this album, Gaye brought a tune that people would still be listening to ages later that hasn't been replaced by much else.

Rating 3 of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...