Summary: Cher is a high school living in Beverly Hills, and she feels she is just an everyday teen that wants to improve the lives of others, particularly if this can lead to her own gain as well. While Cher is dim in a lot of ways she also does seem to have intelligence in socializing and a passion for helping others in her own misguided way. She lives with her dad, and her ex-stepbrother often visits. She also has the companionship of her friend, Dionne, and finds a new project to makeover in new student, Tai. Cher finds the more she involves herself in others lives though, that maybe it is her own life that needs analyzing.
Acting: The movie is basically a parody of Jane Austen's Emma, so when watching the movie it is a safe bet to take everyone as little as serious as possible. This is supposed to be a fun movie to watch, and the actors embrace that. There are only two cast members I can name other work from after this though, that being Brittany Murphy and Paul Rudd. While Alicia Silverstone is a known name she didn't seem to take off as huge as they did. Silverstone definitely over acts, but I find it appropriate it in this movie to bring out all th sweeter sides of Cher, and the sides that make us realize she still is popular and knows it. She's vain and she has an ego, but she wants to help others achieve the same, not smack them down because they haven't gotten to her level. Murphy is Tai, the dorky new girl that Cher decides to makeover. I'm sure Murphy was young at this time so I can only imagine how impressionable it would be on a young person to play someone who is cool, and isn't catching guy's attentions. Murphy though is probably one of the most memorable parts of the movie as she is almost unrecognizable as herself. Stacey Dash is Dionne, who doesn't have that much of a part compared to the others, but I think she was good, and it only left me wondering what happened to her career. The other guy you will notice is Paul Rudd in his starter days. Rudd also seems like himself, even as Josh the ex stepbrother. There is something though that is likable about the guy, and I can only imagine that girls swooned over him in this movie.
Filming: The movie does a lot of quirky things to add some comedic moments. Like scenes maybe sped up to show something moving quicker in a comedic way, or you have sort of sound effects added. I thought the overall vibe of that was done well. I also really like the vivid color. It is very pink in a lot of ways, but all of this reflects and over does Cher's lavish lifestyle well.
Plot: The plot is basically a parody as stated. If you're looking to take it seriously then you'll have a problem with the movie. It just has no element about it that reflects anything to be pretentious about. I think what may hurt the viewer is that it is based off being a parody of a serious story. I feel if I had read Jane Austen's novel then it would be way more funny.
There are many aspects of this movie that capture high school quite well whether you were the popular kid or the unpopular kid. There is something really charming about this movie though, and there are some moments that were quite hilarious. You find yourself oddly relating to parts of it. I also like how the characters develop, and how even though they aren't people you would normally like you can't help but want the best for them by the end.
Rating 8 of 10.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.