Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

143 of 1001 Movies: Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2008)

Surprisingly, this movie did leave me almost with a tear in my eye. I didn't expect that from a movie that I thought I would disconnected from. This documentary though pulls out a lot of good techniques that make it not only a strong movie about a band, but one of the better documentary movies I've seen. I was also surprised to find that Sacha Gervasi would later go on to direct Hitchcock after this music documentary. They seemed way different from the other one.

Summary: It is said that Anvil is one of the most influential heavy metal acts. Yet since 1978 the band has went on to be virtually unknown, and the guys are now working regular jobs trying to make it after their first attempt at fame failed. Steve and Robb though are determined to make this work, and have continued the band despite the fact they are playing small performances, and a lot of the times not making any money at it. It's the thing that gives the guys passion to keep going though. Gervasi chronicles the guys' getting back into touring and releasing their next album, and the ups and downs of the bands even as the two guys go through creative differences.


Acting: While this isn't a movie that is supposed to have actors I do think an amount of staging things does happen in documentaries. You can't believe that everything just happens in a film in the right timing for someone to catch it. What drama is real and isn't is left to your imagination though. The two musicians do get into their own fights, and they have friction with a tour manager they hire to set up an European tour. I think though there are some great insights to the music business, especially in their endeavors overseas. If they guys are ever acting out scenes though you can't tell, it is true they were a real band in the 80's and it's also true that Steve has appeared in scripted sitcoms since this film.

Filming: The filming is a little bit low budget and you can tell. The special effects for the title graphic are a little weak looking, but I think the rest of the raw camera look gives the song a heavy documentary vibe. I like how it moves with the band, and really shoots from angles that convey their sadness and happiness throughout the movie very well. There is one moment where Robb is breaking down on tour where his face looks so sad, but no tears are flowing. At first I thought with the interviews with varying bands would make this a typical documentary but I'm so glad they didn't stick to that format after the first few minutes. It's a great intro, but nothing to carry through the entire film. People want to see the band, not people sit around and glorify them.

Plot: While a documentary there is a plot as well. It isn't just about a band that is dried up and a has been, but more so a band that is trying to get their career in music back. I think while it may seem a bit extreme how dedicated these guys are trying to find fame with music that is ultimately past it's prime, they are still having hope. I think that theme will strike particularly well with creative types who have felt like giving up.

Anvil is a movie that many might write off because of the basis, but it's a good documentary that can resonate with more than those interested in metal music. It has something that really just strikes an emotional chord, and seeing these guys so passionate about their work and what they create is just inspiring for some reason. It's well filmed and better than expected.

Rating 8 of 10


Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2008) on IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...