Summary: Tom Reagan seems like a pretty peaceful guy to be involved with the mob as an advisor. He just doesn't want to see a war break out, and seems to want to keep violence to as little as possible. When Bernie, the brother of the woman that Tom has feelings for, ends up in a bad spot between two mobs who want him dead, he tries to help him. The guy though has a reason that both the mobs are after him, and that is he just an unlikable and unloyal guy. Now Tom is just going to wish he had just left the whole thing alone.
Acting: The acting is quite superb, and while the movie starts out slow it is really the acting that pulls you into the movie. Gabriel Byrne is lead as Tom. I think for a while Tom just seems in a stupor. He doesn't seem all there, but as the movie goes on just by the subtle facial changes it seems that a lot happens. I like how the movie builds up slowly until you realize you are feeling a lot of emotions. The other really notable performance for me was John Turtorro as Bernie. I only had seen Turtorro in Transformers, so I had no idea of the skills he was capable of. I think he plays one of the most unlikable characters I have come across in a movie though.
Filming: I think the movie does very well to create a darker atmosphere to the movie, but in Coen brother style there is a little bit of something comedic lurking. The guys though were obviously on there way to getting a more defined style with their angles and shots. There are memorable scenes of them walking through the woods, and such that still have stuck out with me long after watching the movie that are stuck in my mind.
Plot: The plot does start out a little slow, but once you edge through the first thirty minutes or so it does start to pick up before the end, especially with the dilemma of whether Bernie will receive help or not. I think Tom's character also grows more likable. You really have no idea how he will end up with the plot twists, but you somehow come to like him without even realizing it.
Miller's Crossing is one of Coen's brothers more cohesively well done movies, and it is one that also remains more timeless as time goes on. What really carries it is some great acting, and a well written movie that does develop the characters so you either deeply dislike them or you realize how much you like them by the end. The battle for doing good though but being forced to do something bad is one that is riveting though.
Rating 8 of 10.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.