Summary: Dante and Randal run two stores that sit side by side. Dante works at a convenience store, mostly selling cigarettes and coffee for the day. Randal works at a video store that he claims has no good videos, and he won't even rent there himself. Both the guys get into various antics and conversations throughout the day they are at work about their relationships and perspectives on life. Dante even considers leaving his girlfriend, Veronica. While Dante seems not too happy with his own life though he seems unable to get out of the routine he is comfortable with.
Acting: If it wasn't for the acting being as good as it is then the story would fail in a lot of ways. This bunch isn't the strongest group of actors, but they do at least manage to convey the emotions and annoyances that come with being a store clerk. Brian O'Hallaran is the lead as Dante who works at the convenient store. Jeff Anderson is Randal and isn't as strong as O'Hallaran in his acting, but people might like his care free attitude about his job unless you're a boss that is. Veronica is portrayed by Marilyn Ghigoliotti, and I hate to say but she may the character that drives people away from the movie because her demeanor is annoying. I found her gestures toward her boyfriend to be sweet though, and show something redeeming about her personality. Most will also notice Jay and Silent Bob in the film as well portrayed by Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith (the director).
Filming: The film is done in black and white, and while I don't typically like films that are done for the sake of doing black and white it probably wouldn't be as stand out as it is among other releases if it wasn't done in black and white. Perhaps it is also to portray the bland lives of a bunch of clerks that isn't too colorful. I couldn't help but want to see it in color though, and I noticed that Clerks 2 is in color. Clerks though I guess makes some sort of appeal to the independent crowd though with it's added black and white and low budget.
Plot: The dialogue is where the movie is really at. This is the only Kevin Smith movie I've seen, but he has a talent for capturing the real world conversations of people, especially people in the situations that Dante is in. I found the moment him and Veronica discuss their past sex life before each other very realistic. A lot of people don't think about those discussions, but they do take place, and it makes sure to cover every other embarrassing, disgusting conversations that people have. We may want to deny that sometimes we as humans get curious and go there happen, but it does and Smith just says what we've all been thinking. Also if you work at any job, particularly as a sales associate at some point in your life, as most of us have, then you need to watch it. If you're a customer then do watch it as well, because sometimes we forget how trivial and ridiculous customers come off to clerks.
Clerks. is one those that I think most people would hate or love. I'm not a lover of the movie, but it did give me a lot of laughs and some moments that reminded me of some instances of my life. At the end of the day though I think I wouldn't like being around Dante or Randal too long though. It captures the oddest of occurrences though in one day that a guy was called in to work on his day off.
Rating 8 of 10.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.