Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wednesday Movie Night: A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)

Well I've never seen of the Die Hard movies, and I'm sure most people who are hardcore fans will gasp in shock that the first one I watched was the one said to be the worst of the series thus far. Bruce Willis also seems to take any old job they hand him these days. He's the only noticeable actor in the movie, while his son does look familiar I can't remember having saw him in anything else. This movie doesn't have a lot of talking though, it looks sort of B movie like, and the plot is just lacking. If anyone watches it then it might just be for the explosions.

Summary: John believes that he is just traveling to Russia to help his son, Jack get back on track, and try to reconnect with him. When he gets there though he finds his son caught up in a CIA undercover operative mission that has gone a bit wrong. Though he is hesitant to want his father's help, he will need his father to get out of the situation of underworld Russia forces that are now working against them, and unexpected enemies that will betray them.


Acting: Jai Courtney isn't too bad as the son, Jack. He loosens up as the movie goes on, and makes a good match for John as the son. Bruce Willis is a good actor, but he seems to just have gotten into a mode with the action movies. He shows up, does some Bruce Willis moves and there you go. It's intriguing, but also doesn't feel like anything quite new. I think where the movie is a bit weak is in the plot. It just sort of doesn't really compel, and neither do the characters. I may just be an idea worn out.

Filming: The movie is filmed to highlight the action. You have scores of music, and very little dialogue. This may hurt the movie a bit because I think some things do need an explanation. I will say that some of the scenes like the one involving the airplane at the end are exciting, and the special effects aren't too bad, but I wouldn't say this is the weak part of the movie. It isn't exactly exciting with any shots or colors, but not too bad either.

Plot: The plot is where the movie just doesn't grow. We have one nice bad guy reveal that most people might see coming anyways. I think the father and son part is good, and the two guys work together to create the friction, but daddy issues are so overplayed, and just makes the son look whiny and ungrateful. I also will admit that some things just go over my head at times, like what the son is doing in Russia and protecting this man he is from the beginning for. When you do have bits of dialogue show up you've zoned out by that point I think.  Had more interaction occurred between the characters then you have had the tightened bond develop more.

A Good Day to Die Hard would be the take it or leave it of the series, and or hardcore fans it might just too disappointing to watch. Bruce Willis seems indifferent to the whole process of being John, and the movie by this point is missing the 80's fun it had when it first started the franchise in the 80's. It may just be time to retire this series out.

Rating 5 of 10.


A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) on IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...