Summary: Jesse is returning to his alma mater for his professor's retirement party, and the party is also accompanied by Zibby and her parents. Jesse is a 30 something year old though that lives in New York, but when he strikes up a romance with the 19 year old Zibby he can't help but return to the alma mater once more to see if the chemistry is really something to explore. Jesse can't help but remember all the passion and hope that college brought him, but he has since lost since graduating. Not only will Zibby change his life though, but the many characters he meets while spending time at the college.
Acting: The leads seem not only good at acting their parts, but almost as if they are reflecting some aspect of themselves in the character. Josh Radnor is Jesse, and while he does have his annoying moments he for the most part seems real, and has real concerns about his life that will make the viewer like him more. Zibby is portrayed by Elizabeth Olsen who seems to be an up and coming indie star. She does really good at making Zibby likable and I liked how passionately she argued for the book similar to Twilight in the movie against Jesse's disdain. It was very real, and I think many girls or women into the series can relate. Richard Jenkins is the professor, Peter, who is retiring, and he adds the different age element well to balance each age and showing how people transcend over time. There is also Allison Janney as one of Jesse's other favorite professors, Judith. Interestingly, Elizabeth Reaser is Anna, a librarian. What is interesting about that is that she also did have a role in the Twilight movies. Zac Efron also plays a part as Nat who almost becomes an advisor to Jesse while he roams.
Filming: The movie isn't going to pop as far as the filming considering the budget. But I like the simplicity and the pop of the colors in the movie. You don't really need to get too fancy with anything when you have a very character-driven story to convey, because if they are written well then they will push the story along themselves without much help from outside sources.
Plot: The plot works for me. I've graduated college and I am a couple years out, and at times I feel stuck. I think this feeling is reflected well in Jesse though he is 35. I think it would be really disappointing to still be in that situation at his age. His interest in Zibby seems to almost be the hope he can return to the way he was in college, but times have changed a bit and he has very different sentiments from the crowd that is there now. I do like the youthfulness of ideas of Zibby though. Her approach to the book she enjoys that mimics Twilight makes sense, and you could see that conversation taking place.
Liberal Arts seems to have gotten lost in a lot of great 2012 releases. It's one of my favorite movies from last year though because I found something about the characters that was just easy to relate to no matter who they were. If there is anytime of life that I remotely enjoyed as I do now it is the college memories that I did make. For some reason it was a time you could feel adult without a lot of adult responsibilities. I wouldn't go back if I had the chance as my life is great now, but there are days I do miss it.
Rating 9 of 10.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.