Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

189 of 1001 Albums: Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water


History
This fifth and final album from Simon and Garfunkel reached number one on the Billboard Charts. It won a Grammy Award for Album of the Year, and another for Best Engineered Record. The album was not only a success in America, but also in the United Kingdom where it went on to make several number ones, and a few years on the chart. It also won a few awards in the country. It was the biggest selling album in the U.K. in 1970, and 1971. The album has since went on to sell 25 million copies worldwide. 

My Thoughts
I feel this is probably my favorite from Simon and Garfunkel. I enjoyed every moment of it. The songs definitely felt like a goodbye in a sense. I don't even know if I could pick a favorite. "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" is a strong opening to the album. I didn't have to wait for this album to catch me as I usually do. Then there is "Cecilia", which is a fun song I couldn't forget. The album just continues to poor out enjoyable song after another though. I could continue on about it. One of my favorite things about these guys is that there core sound doesn't change. The vocals, and guitar stay quite consistent through their albums. They may add more grandiose sounds, but the root is still a folksy pop sound.

Rating 5 of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...