Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Television Review: Arrow (CW)

I've got to say that out of all the premieres this season Arrow seems to be the strongest so far. We have enough hints to keep us interested in Oliver's back story, along with plenty of action, and a nice romance that leaves us wanting more. Stephen Amell also carries himself well as Oliver, and he isn't a bad looking guy either. The CW has probably found a nice show along with Supernatural to appeal to more than just women.

After being stranded for five years on an island, Oliver Queen is discovered and rescued. Upon his arrival home he has some business to take care. His change is obvious to some close friends though despite the fact he tries to maintain as much of his old lifestyle that he feels comfortable with. Tommy Merlyn instantly attaches himself to his old friend even throwing him a party, and Laurel has some old harsh feelings leftover regarding some incidents that she knew happened on the ship that wrecked leaving Oliver stranded. Along with these things Oliver has transformed himself into a persona called Arrow who is out to right some wrongs.

With the recent archery craze along with the fact this feels very superhero I think this show is striking at the right time. For fans of Spiderman or Batman this is a great fit. Most of the show was set at night, which I also liked. It added something to the setting. More than anything the show leaves you wanting to know more about Oliver. How in the world did he get this way on the island?

I can't say there were really that many stand out actors on the show. It was all about Oliver, and he stole the show as he should. Stephen Amell appears to have the look of CW's typical male lineup, but I thought he pulled off the mysterious guy thing well. I really think in a show like this the lead character can make it or break it. For the first Pilot he did what many shows were lacking, and that was pull the viewer in, and make them care about what was happening.

If you're looking for a show that combines drama, action, suspense, and romance then I think Arrow does that.  I look forward to the next airing though it comes on a terrible night. Wednesdays are so crowded. I hope they continue to do a reairing of the show on Fridays so I can keep up. I think it's worth trying to keep up with.

Rating 5 of 5.


2 comments:

  1. Great review. Agree with all of your points.

    Great setup for future episodes. Loved the brief appearance of Deathstroke's mask.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :)
    I'm glad to hear others are enjoying the show!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...